Powered By Blogger

Friday 19 June 2015

A Proper Devonian at Hungerford Arcade!

Every whips ‘n while uz’l meet a desperd intr’estin gatfer in thikky shop, out on a wazegoose an’ fawzy t’ ‘ave a look around at some flibberty skriddicks.  Did anybody understand that?  I said:  Every now and then we get a really interesting old boy in the shop, who’s having a day out to hunt for trinkets and other bits and pieces. 

For the uninitiated, most of what I said there is traditional Devonian dialect.  Having said that I bet I got it terribly wrong.  I’m sure someone will let me know.

Anyway, back to the chap I mentioned before – Tich Scott is a Devonian born and bred.  He can trace his ancestors back in the county 400 years and is an award winning local dialect speaker.  He is the operator of Proper Dartmoor Tours, offering full day tours of Dartmoor in his luxury 6 seater Land Rover.
Three mugs!



While he was browsing through the Arcade for flibberty skriddicks and the like, Tich found a musical cup depicting Widecombe Fair, an event Tich attends every year.  The cup was made probably around the 1930s or 40s by Crown Devon pottery and plays a tune when you pick it up to have a drink.

The mug on Tich's spare tyre back in Devon

 

Next time you’re down in Devon, make sure you look up Proper Dartmoor Tours to explore Devon with a proper local!  

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment